Vegetarian Like Me: How To Make Eggplant Bacon
1/2 medium eggplant
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
2 tsp smoke paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF or 120ºC and line one (or two) large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the eggplant) in a large mixing bowl. If you use tahini, blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and then pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Slice an eggplant in half lengthwise, we’re going to use only one half. Then use a mandolin to slice the eggplant into thin strips (1/8 inch or 3 mm). If you don’t have a mandolin, use a sharp knife, but the mandolin works much better.
- Some people brush the eggplant slices with the sauce, but I prefer to dip them in the sauce, it’s simpler and works great. Then wipe it off a little bit the excess.
- Place the eggplant slices onto the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes for one side and another 45 minutes for the other side. The eggplant slices are crispier when they’re cool. If you prefer a simpler alternative, just sauté the bacon slices for both sides in a frying pan with some oil until they’re golden brown and crispy.
- Baking time may vary depending on the oven.
- If you can’t eat soy, use coconut aminos or add sea salt and some liquid instead, like water, more vinegar or even lemon juice.
- Feel free to use lemon juice instead of the vinegar.
- Add your favorite spices