Vegetarian Like Me: How To Make BBQ Pulled Pork with Jakefruit
The difference between fresh jackfruit and canned jackfruit is the canned jackfruit is an unripe “young jackfruit.” Young jackfruit has a meaty texture while fresh ripe jackfruit is more tender and sweet. If you plan to use fresh jackfruit, be sure to buy an unripe one. You can tell it is not yet ripe by checking that it isn’t fragrant and is still firm.
For jackfruit pulled pork, you’ll want jackfruit in brine or water. Jackfruit in syrup should only be used if being eaten as dessert as it will not work for jackfruit pulled pork. Some vegan chefs swear by jackfruit in water but jackfruit in brine will produce similar results, the brine being a bit more flavorful.
For the jackfruit:
2 ½ cups young jackfruit
For the barbecue sauce:
2 cups tomato puree
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon cayenne
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
Dash of liquid smoke
- To make the barbecue sauce, add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a saucepan and heat over medium-low. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently Add tomato puree, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, molasses, sea salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and cayenne. Whisk until well combined.
- Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit if using canned. Place jackfruit on a cutting board and cut out the core. Using your fingers or two forks, shred the jackfruit into a bowl.
- Add barbecue sauce to the bowl of jackfruit and stir. Stir until jackfruit is completely coated.
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon safflower oil. Add jackfruit and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Serve BBQ jackfruit pulled pork on a bun with desired toppings. Enjoy!